Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Blog Relaunch Post #1: Why and how this blog is changing

I have had this blog for years now, and I have a few loyal readers, which is very nice. I began this writing blog in 2009 after I won my first NaNoWriMo.org contest. I felt the need to write about writing because I had just finished my first novel manuscript, but I didn’t have much more focus than that.

Well, that’s going to change. With the launch of the paperback version of Liz A. Stratton Closes the Store, I want to build a better platform for my writing so that you will tell your friends about this fun writing blog, and then they will go buy a copy of my book. Honesty is good, right?

My other impetus is as a writing teacher. I have taught writing for 15 years, and I feel the need to offer advice to all you lovely people. There are so few good writing texts out there that are actually readable--you know, enjoyable reads. Ironic, isn’t it? (btw, Bruce Ballenger's books are notable exceptions). I thought I’d try my hand at making the old new again by making the cracker-dry and boring, berry-luscious and scintillating.

So, here is my plan for summer 2012:

  • Mondays – My posts will focus on Writing (brainstorming, drafting, creating, chaining up the editor, letting the muse in)
  • Wednesdays – I will post on Editing and Revision topics (letting the editor out of her box, style, word choice, craft)
  • Fridays – I’ll relate my Independent publishing experiences.
  • Updates and cool stuff will be posted whenever the mood strikes me.
  • I’ll explain all these in more detail in future posts.


To be honest with you, three scheduled posts a week is ambitious for me. This summer I am working on a new book (of course), and I have two little girls, an alpaca farm, a novelling class, and all sorts of other irons in the fire. However, I have to be busy to be productive (Want something done quickly? Ask a busy person to do it.)

So, please tell your friends! Not only will I be giving away all that knowledge you normally have to pay college tuition for, I’m going to attempt to deliver said knowledge in a pithy, interesting way.

Damn the torpedoes! Full steam ahead!

m

No comments:

Post a Comment