Thursday, January 1, 2009

The end of "Liz Stratton Closes the Store"

Daily word count: 1,110
Weekly word count: 1,1110

I am working on the "endings" of my NaNoWriMo novel Liz A. Stratton Closes the Store. The book is a re-telling of Aristophanes's play Lysistrata, in which a group of women decide that in order to end a war, they should withhold sex from their husbands. It's a comedy, so the plan works.

In Liz, Liz A. Stratton is a talk show host who decides to run for President of the United States, and inadvertently calls for a sex strike to end the war.

The problem with the ending is that I know that the war ends, but I don't know if Liz wins the election. So, I'm writing it both ways: one winning and one losing.

Actually, I began with a three-way tie because I thought it would be interesting to explore what happens when that happens. It isn't interesting. It goes to Congress and they decide. I knew I had to stop writing that version when I realized how badly the character Liz didn't want to go to Washington D.C. and lobby for herself that way. She would have lost that battle. So those pages are in the round file.

Now I'm working on the "losing" version. I think we're going to the Middle East because women over there have begun protesting. I know, far-fetched, huh? We'll see how it goes.

m

No comments:

Post a Comment