Thursday, January 1, 2009

The world doesn't need this...

Yet another writer who feels the need to be accountable to someone, even it if is equivalent to telling the void my daily wordcount.

However, I DO feel the need to be accountable, so here we are.

This is all NaNoWriMo's fault. I took part in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in Nov. 2008, and I WON. This means that I wrote 50,000 words of a new novel in 30 days. That's 1,667 words a day, for those of you who are math blockheads like me.

This accomplishment has shown me that I am capable of producing book-length works, if I put in the time. This means that my guilt for NOT putting in the time is magnified by quite a lot. Hence the blog.

My strategy is twofold. First, I have resolved to produce 5,000 new words a week, or 1,000 words a day for each weekday. On top of that, I resolve to post my word counts and travails here so that I can at least keep track. Plus, I have found that I problem solve when I write, so this will be a place where I can "think on paper," and have it stored handily so when I look for it later, I don't give up as soon as I confront my scary file cabinet or box of old journals.

This may prove useful someday to someone other than myself, but that's a secondary function here. If someone asks me a question, the writing teacher in me will try to answer it, but mostly, this is going to be a place for my musings.

Let me know if any of you have writing questions or questions about my work. If all goes as planned, I'll be updating this quite frequently.

love to all
maren

No comments:

Post a Comment